Monday, January 17, 2011

WOO-HOOOOOOO!


I was way, way, way too cool this week.

For the past seven days, I have been worrying about my pal Jack and his wife, Ali, who were at the epicenter of the terrible floods in Queensland, Australia.

I was worried, yes. But at the same time-- I felt an inner calm. Somehow, I knew they were okay-- just cut off... unable to communicate with the rest of the world. My heart told me I would know if something terrible had happened to them. Jack has a place inside that heart, and I knew I'd know...

That serenity didn't mean I wasn't concerned. It just meant that I didn't act like a idiotic goober, complete with melt-down, gnashing of teeth, rending of clothes. The whole bit.

You're welcome.

But now, I have proof that Jack and Ali are healthy and safe. Three emails in the last few minutes, as Jack's internet is newly restored and he attempts to catch up on a week's worth of correspondance.

I'm elated. I can't stop grinning. It's a terrible thing to wait and worry when you are 10,000 miles away and unable to help the people you love. I'm a fixer of problems. And Jack handed me a doozy, last Monday night.

I was unable to help. There was nothing I could do.

I'll forgive Jack for putting me in such a helpless position, as long as he promises never to do it again. Ever. Never, ever.

I'm going to go fix myself a congratulatory drink. I've earned it. I might even have a DOUBLE hot chocolate, just because! And while I drink it, I will wait --patiently-- for a real update from my "Scots Down Under". (Make it snappy, kid! Grrrr....)

Thank God and anyone else who wants to take credit. Jack and Ali are okay.

Yippeeee!!!!! (Oh, yeah... I'm supposed to be cool, aren't I?)

Snort....

6 comments:

  1. Woooo-HOOOOOO!

    And other calm, cool and collected exclamations....

    Snort!

    Thanks, DC.

    Hugs from this side of the mountain.
    Kaz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kaz,

    Yeah, we got llucky. Some people lost their homes. Some lost loved ones. Some lost their lives. We only lost power - big deal.

    It'll take years for those who lost everything to recover. They'll need help. The Queensland government has a website set up to receive donations. If you or any of your readers would like to contribute, please visit http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html

    I know times are tough, but every little bit helps, and these folks are in dire straits.

    Thanks, and all the best :)

    --JackR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, sweetie.

    Thanks for sharing that link. I'll visit and see how to make a donation. I'm one of the lucky ones. I didn't lose a loved one.

    So glad you and Ali are okay.

    xoxo
    Kaz

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to hear Jack & Ali are both okay - these floods, and the losses of life & home, are heart-wrenching to see. It is going to be a very long road to recovery for Queensland however the community spirits & assistance from so many people far & wide has been truly inspirational !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you're OK Jack. This sheila has been driving us nuts worrying about you.
    She doesn't know how tough you pineapple munchers are!

    ReplyDelete